An advice, advocacy and resource centre for black and minority women
Currently we have vacancies for
Southall Black Sisters is currently looking for volunteers to help run our dedicated advice helpline for victims of gender-based violence.
The helpline operates Monday to Friday – 9am to 5pm. It is based at Southall Black Sisters, 21 Avenue Road, Southall, Middx, UB1 3BL
What we are looking for:
You must be willing to commit to volunteering for a minimum of 3 months and possess the following experience, qualities and skills:
- Have experience of working with women, especially black and minority women in a voluntary or paid capacity;
- Have experience of giving advice on a telephone helpline or in a position offering advice and support;
- Have knowledge of the law and policy in relation to gender based violence and related issues such as immigration and homelessness;
- Have experience of liaising with a range of professionals and agencies;
- Show a commitment to assisting women and children victims of domestic violence in accordance with Southall Black Sisters policy;
- Have good listening skills to communicate with both vulnerable clients and professionals
- Understand the overriding importance of confidentiality in relation to he users, staff and the organisation;
- Be able to provide non-judgemental advice;
- Be able to demonstrate empathy for the issues and barriers faced by black and minority women;
- Understand the significance of racism and cultural and religious pressures as barriers affecting the choices that black and minority women can make about their lives;
- Be able to maintain professionalism when dealing with enquiries and cases which may be stressful and demanding;
- Be able to work effectively under pressure including prioritising workload and meeting deadlines;
- Be able to speak Punjabi or, Hindi or Urdu fluently;
- Be able to respond positively to change;
- Have good keyboard, word processing and computing skills and knowledge, include use of the internet;
- Have good administrating skills;
- Have good written communication skills in order to be able to write to serve users and professional agencies, and maintain records;
- Be willing to learn and progress skills and knowledge as an advice line volunteer.
This position may lead to a full time paid post.
To apply please send us your:
- CV (no more than one side of A4);
- a short statement expressing (no more than one side of A4) your reasons for applying for the position, your suitability to the role and your availability;
- a completed equal opportunities form.
Please send the above:
By Email: email@example.com
By Post: Southall Black Sisters, 21 Avenue Road, Southall, Middlesex, UB1 3BL
By Fax: 0208 574 6781
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and this vacancy will close once the position is filled, an immediate start is preferred.